Turbo Nave da crociera Turbo Cruise ship
|Flag||Italiana - Italian|
|Owner||Costa Crociere - Genova - Italy|
|Shipyard||Fincantieri - Monfalcone - ITALY|
Tipo di scafo
|Hull type||doppio scafo - double hull|
Materiale dello scafo
|Hull material||acciaio - steel|
|Call Sign||I C V V -|
I.M.O. International Maritime Organization
|Port of Registry||Genova|
|Gross Tonnage||30.567 Tons|
|Net Tonnage||17.772 Tons|
Portata ( estiva )
|DWT (summer )||9.859 Tonn|
|Dislocamento leggero||L. displacement||22.229 Tonn|
|Lunghezza tra le Pp||L. between Pp||188,42 m|
|Breadth max||29,39 m|
Altezza di costruzione
|Draught max||8,64 m|
|Main engine||3 - caldaie/boilers - 2 turboriduttori/turbines|
|Engine power||29.422 Kw|
|Speed max||28,0 kn|
|Propellers||2 - passo fisso / fixed pitch|
|Volume merci||Cargo capacity||grano/grain 1.126 m3|
|Mezzi di carico||Cargo gear||3 - gru/cranes x 5 Tonn cad/each|
|Navi gemelle||Sister ship|
Alang - 05.06.2005
|Aggiornata al||Last updated|| |
Questa splendida nave da crociera, fu costruita nei cantieri navali di Monfalcone su committenza della Giacomo Costa di Genova. La chiglia fu impostata il 10 Gennaio 1964, e fu varata il 21 Novembre dello stesso anno. La consegna della Eugenio C. alla compagnia avvenne a Genova il 22 Agosto del 1966 . Il 31.08. 1966 partì da Genova per il viaggio inaugurale.
Era un grande transatlantico, per il periodo in cui fu progettato aveva una linea e una concezione tecnica d'avanguardia, esso si distingueva per la sistemazione a poppa dell'apparato motore, con due fumaioli appaiati, di forma originale e aerodinamica, studiata per ridurre al minimo il fastidio della ricaduta dei prodotti della combustione sui ponti.
Lo scafo, ricalcava la linea iniziata dai C.R.D.A. sui tipi
e sulla prestigiosa OCEANIC,
con prora a clipper e poppa molto slanciata tipo incrociatore con riquadro sotto
la linea di galleggiamento al fine di ridurre l'onda di poppa e quindi migliorare
il rendimento della carena.
This splendid cruise ship, was built in the shipyards of Monfalcone on bodies of James Costa of Genoa. The keel was set on 10 January 1964, and was launched on 21 November of that year. The delivery of Eugene C. the company was in Genoa on 22 August 1966. The 31.08. 1966 left Genoa for the inaugural trip.
It was a great transatlantic while he was designed had a line and a technical edge, it was different for the accommodation aft of the engine, paired with two chimneys, original shape and aerodynamic, designed to reduce to minimize the discomfort of relapse of combustion products on bridges.
The hull, taking the line begun by CRDA on the types GALILEI Oceanic and prestigious, with a clipper bow and stern, very slender type cruiser with the box under the waterline in order to reduce the stern wave and thus improve the efficiency of the hull.
Originally it was divided into three classes with ample supply of seats, and could accommodate its entry into service 1636 (178 first, 356 second, 1102 tourist) and passenger comfort in high-class furniture equipped with air conditioning. For the ship extended spacious halls, bright verandas, three beaches with outdoor pools, walking and ample space for outdoor games. To improve the comfort was equipped with stabilizers such as "Denny-Brown" and all the modern technical variety, that the safe and made it one of the most beautiful ships in the world.
In 1987, was the work of change: the stern was lengthened to create a great-hall theater, and the gross tonnage increased to 32,753 tons.
At the resumption of service in the same year was named Eugenio Costa. In 1997 it was sold to Direct Cruises English and was renamed the Edinburgh Castle hired for three years from Lowline Ltd.
During this period he had numerous failures and technical problems. In 2000 he was hired by Premier Cruise and renamed Big Red Boat, but the failure of the cruise company, led to the disarmament and the subsequent demolition occurred in October 2003 to Alang.
The EUGENIO C was, by far, the largest passenger ship built in Italy for a private owner and without subsidies, it was at the same time, the last giant of this kind came from the Shipyard in Monfalcone under the CRDA that with this ship completed a particularly happy period that had seen them achieve, in just five years, five large and luxurious transatlantic (RAFFAELLO at San Marco in Trieste and GALILEO GALILEI, GUGLIELMO MARCONI, OCEANIC and EUGENIO C in Monfalcone).
31.08.1966 inaugural trip (Genoa, Lisbon, Rio de Janeiro, Montevideo, Buenos Aires) conquered the record of crossing Lisbon - Rio at a speed of 27.5 knots.
The 09.01.1967 sailed for the first cruise from Genoa with Circumnavigation of Africa.
In 1967, in Genoa was subjected to work for the replacement of the propellers to reduce vibration
From 03. 10. 1977 to 15.12.1977, sailed from Genoa for the first cruise Circumnavigation of the globe by tapping Alexandria, Bombay, Colombo, Penang, Singapore, Bangkok, Manila, Hong Kong, Kobe, Yokohama, Honolulu, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Acapulco, Cartagena and St.Thomas. He returned to Genoa.
In 1981, carries out only six trips scheduled for South America
1982: makes only three trips to South America in August and a special trip Helensburgh, Quebex, Halifax, Gibraltar, Genoa
1982: seasonal transfers in South America for local cruise
26. 12. 1984 while coming out from Rio came into collision with destroyer Brazilian Sergipe reporting damage to the side. The cruise stops for repairs
In 1986rinominata EUGENIO COSTA Costa Crociere SpA are unifying their ranks and the third was abolished pool that was replaced by two tennis courts
In 1987 work underwent conversion and modernization at the Officine Mariotti of Genoa (32,753 gt, 15,851 tsn, 7682 tpl, Pass.: 1419, Equip. 480), returned to service on 1 December of that year.
In 1989 the unit was overhauled engine CA 39000, for a cruising speed of only 22 knots.
In October 1994 were carried out modernization work in La Spezia Shipyard at the INMA.
03. 12. 1994 departs from Genoa to South America for the winter cruise season.
14. 02. 1995 in a maneuver Santos, with the bow hits the bulk carrier Brazilian RIO assume that in turn hits the Panamanian bulk carrier MARILY. The three ships suffered slight damage.
In December 1995 it was sold to the shipyard Bremer Vulkan AG (Mascot Shipping - Monrovia) in partial payment of a new unit, continues to be managed by Costa Crociere.
In 01.11.1996 was made in disarmament in Genoa.
In February 1997fu sold to the British (Lowline-Amersham) to be used as a cruise ship.
17. 11. 1997 while sailing from Genoa to New York where it should have run floating casino for the winter season went into total loss (position 37 ° 39 'N - 25 ° 25' W) 19. 11. 1997 was taken from a trailer towing FOTIY Krylov that led her to Ponta Delgada and then go to Boston where he was subjected to repair work.
22. 02. 1998 arrives in New York and began a series of night cruises as floating casinos
26. 04. 1998 accomplished the first cruise from Liverpool to the Mediterranean, to return to Liverpool in May 1998 to the third cruise passengers were disembarked for security reasons due to failure to control framework.
The misfortunes were not yet finished, 26. 08. 1998 was subject to rigorous health checks because two passengers had contracted Legionnaires' disease.
09. 09. 1998 while he was in direct cruise in the Mediterranean was a 'disruption of the electric generator and was first diverted to Lisbon and then to Cadiz where the cruise stops and passengers returned.
In October 1998, arrived in Southampton where to stop work for 7 weeks.
In December 1998 he was placed under sequestration in Southampton for debts, but was released on 05.01.1999 was placed again under sequestration.
24. 05. 1999 left Southampton for Hebburn-on-Tyne where he was put to work for modernization in January 2000 and was renamed THE BIG RED BOAT II with the flag Bahamas (Nassau).
Since February 2000 he was hired for five years at Premier Cruises.
20. 02. 2000 left the yard for the Bahamas where the completed development. The inaugural cruise from New York is canceled for delays in the work
11. 06. 2000 during the first trip from New York, trance with the anchor cable electricity Jamestown in Rhode Island, causing a blackout rule, the subsequent cruises were canceled due to problems with air conditioning.
In 2000 he was placed under seizure in Freeport.
In June 2003 it was renamed RED BOAT.
In October 2003 it was sold for scrapping at Alang.